Here is some of the types of information you can find in the immigration records:
- one's nationality, place of birth
- ship name and date of entry to the United States
- age, height, eye and hair color
- place of last residence
- name and address of relatives they are joining in the U.S.
- amount of money they are carrying, etc.
- Immigration Records (Ship Passenger Arrival Records)
- Order copies of passenger lists using the Order Online! system, or with NATF Form 81
Specific Immigration Topics
- Canadian Border Crossing Records, an article in Prologue
- Chinese Immigration and Chinese in the United States: Records in NARA's Regional Archives
- "Famine Irish Passenger Records" in the Access to Archives Databases (AAD). This database identifies 604,596 persons who arrived in the Port of New York, from 1846-1851. Despite the name of the records, approximately 30 percent of the passengers list their native country as other than Ireland.
- Great Lakes Crew Lists
- Index to Case Files for Early Immigrants to San Francisco and Hawaii
- Mexican Border Crossing Records
- View Selected Chinese Immigration Records Online
- Genealogical CD-ROMS on Immigration in the Archives Library Information Center, National Archives Building, Washington, DC
- See the Passenger Arrival Records of the von Trapp Family
- View Selected Alien and Immigration Records Online
Dale L. Edwards